I am in a Row by Row swap group of Facebook. We post rows we want, where we are going and could buy, and patterns and/or kits we are willing to trade. I traded many good patterns this summer. It is great!
The group is having a contest for those that finish a row each month. Each row finished, completed may be a better term (not quilted and/or in a quilt but made), is an entry into the pot of prizes at the end of each month. I have a goal to finish at least 2 each month. I am a great collector, sometimes I need to be a great finisher too!
One of the rows I actually purchased this summer was Falling Tides from Three Crafty Ladies in Sanibel, FL. It is a group of black-necked stilts (a shore bird) in the water with their reflection. It is AMAZING! The link to purchase the kit is here, it is $34.99. I do not remember it being that expensive this summer but I LOVED to 2016 design too! It is called Late Night Traffic Jam:
When I opened my kit to look at the supplies and pattern there was MUCH more fabric than what I needed for a standard Row by Row size of 9″x36″. I decided to use more than the standard row size of last year and started with a background fabric of 22″x36″. The fabric is a blue ombre from light to dark across the 44″ with a brush mark design throughout. The fabric for the birds to be cut from is also an ombre but cream to dark tan. It is called Sand in My Shoes and is by McKenna Ryan for Robert Kaufman.
I started tracing the patterns onto a Heat n’ Bond applique while on a cross state trip awhile ago. There were so many pieces and I had not really taken the time to focus on which pieces were which colors before we left. The pattern did not give that info but did say to check their website for more info. I was not willing to do that while traveling and only traced the large bird and it’s reflection. There are 5 birds in total: 1 large, 2 medium and 2 small.
I decided to go back and finish now that I could look more closely and devote the time to it. I like to trace each color in a compact area on the Heat n’ Bond. Then I can iron and cut out in a condensed space and save more for my stash.
After I cut everything out I then placed into piles according to which bird size. There are SO MANY pieces! Each bird has 15 or more pieces.
After assembling the top, or original, bird there is the reflection of each with a water shadow between the two.
Everything on this row is raw edge applique. Once you are to the assembly stage, everything is so quick. There is so much tracing and cutting, ironing and re-cutting.
Besides the birds there are sand dollars with an applique flower design over the top, there are sea stars that the black necked stilts are trying to eat and all the water shadows, not only for each bird but for random places too.
There is probably more than 120 pieces, all very small and intricate. My cutting hand was sore from all the cutting. I should have broken it into 2 or 3 sessions.
Once all of my whining about cutting, tracing and ironing was over – it was SOOOOO worth it! Here is the finished product:
It will make a beautiful wall hanging! I plan to add black beads for the eyes and possibly a border. There are still a few water shadows that I did not add but could include them later if I feel like they are needed. I have no idea how I will quilt it but that will need to be another day. For now, it is complete!