Today you will have a sneak peek into the design process BEFORE the finished product. This is backwards from the plan for this quilt, but sometimes things don’t work out as planned.
I had an epiphany for this quilt in the middle of the night a few nights ago, something that often happens to me. I get up to feed the cat and BANG! Inspiration. I usually have to write it down or it is gone before I am coherent in the morning.
This inspiration came with the quilt, cutting, supplies AND name. It usually is only a part of that list, rarely all 4. I often have to work out the rest. Here it is as it came to me in the night:
There is ALWAYS modifications along the way. Here are some of those along the way in notes:The block size changed in the reality version. The cutting amounts and sizes were altered. The arranging and OCD version also was modified.
I do have plan of contacting a fabric supplier and making another with one of their fabric lines and driving more traffic to my blog – but felt like I needed to make a “tester” quilt first before I do that.
I decided to make the tester PB&J Quilt for my daughter. She needed a little attention and I hoped this would help. I went to my stash and let her pick whatever she wanted. I showed her my fat quarter piles and said to pick 7. She made about 30 “maybes,” 15 “really want these” and a few “no.” We then narrowed the piles into what could work together, about 12, and those that would not, the rest. She had to pick the best 7 from those. Here they are:All were batik and looked great together. Some of them ended up looking too similar, but I never would have known that unless I let her pick them out.
I cut them into strips, using the FULL 18″x21″ of the fat quarter. Except I cut 1 wrong! Instead of cutting it along the 21″ side I cut the 18″ side – UGH! I would have to see if I could get it to work out.
I lined up the strips in the order I wanted to sew them but kept them in a “no 2 of the same together.” I really had to force myself to NOT be OCD about this.
After LOTS of sewing, and a break of looking for keys, I had the 12 blocks all sewn and laid out on my design wall. I liked the accidental layout on the wall better than what I had drawn on my original plan. Adapt and use what works best, right?
Here is the original plan, shown in the top row:I really did not like the continuous row.
Here is the second version, with the soon to be owner:I only had to do sashing and border! While nearly finished with sashing I texted a photo to a quilting buddy and asked for advice on quilting. I had an idea in mind but was not sure it would work. She then totally rearranged EVERYTHING! Well, not everything. And, it was for the better. I also decided at this point that I wanted to enter it in the Tri-Cities Quilt Show. Just force me to do my best for the contest.
She asked about moving the center column down a bit so the sashing does not line up. I moved it while I was talking to her and kept talking. Then I realized, it LOOKED SO MUCH BETTER! Here it is:
She also pointed out that there is no peanut butter in my PB&J Quilt – just jelly. She was right. I explained that my “adult” PB&J is on seeded whole wheat and Nutella instead of jelly. That is a totally different color scheme!
Secret: I rarely square things up. I did need to since the color would show through in the sashing. I squared up at this columns stage.
It still needs a border. I was planning on white, but the Hubs “design department” thinks gray – which I do not have at home, but can pick up tomorrow. Since it will be my daughters and dragged around the house, picnicked on and all sorts of things. I realized that I would be happier with gray for the tester PB&J Quilt anyway.
So, there is are a few versions of my PB&J Quilt, the soon to be owner and a peak into the “crazy” and accidents that go into designing a quilt. Tomorrow, I plan to post the actual instructions, supplies and assembly. See you then!